Medicine Cabinet Makeover – Out with Ibuprofen & Aspirin, In with Peppermint
Let’s makeover our medicine cabinets together, get rid of over-the-counter drugs with detrimental side effects and replace them with the essential oils God gave us to heal our bodies and bring health and vitality to our future.
Today let’s talk PAIN RELIEVERS, specifically Ibuprofen and Aspirin.
For many years I took Motrin several times a day… I needed it, I had severe pain. I guarantee you that for many years I took more Motrin that the label recommended and yes it seemed to stop my pain. HOWEVER it really did not. The only thing Ibuprofen did mask the symptoms, it never treated the underlying problem. This is the real problem with traditional medicines found in our cabinets.
Just consider the side effects of ibuprofen:
Side Effects of Ibuprofen
•NSAIDs may cause an increased risk of serious cardiovascular thrombotic events, myocardial infarction, and stroke, which can be fatal. This risk may increase with duration of use. Patients with cardiovascular disease or risk factors for cardiovascular disease may be at greater risk (see WARNINGS).
•MOTRIN (ibuprofen) tablets are contraindicated for treatment of peri-operative pain in the setting of coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery (see WARNINGS).
•NSAIDs cause an increased risk of serious gastrointestinal adverse events including bleeding, ulceration, and perforation of the stomach or intestines, which can be fatal. These events can occur at any time during use and without warning symptoms. Elderly patients are at greater risk for serious gastrointestinal events.
Source: the Rx List http://www.rxlist.com/ibuprofen-drug.htm
Over the past half century we have learned to run to our over-the-counter pharmacy for “quick” “fixes” for everything that ails us. What we didn’t realize is that those “quick fixes” often come with detrimental side effects that can ultimately cause our body systems to malfunction and become diseased.
God gave us everything, EVERYTHING that pertains to LIFE and godliness. Life in the here and now! And God’s gift to us for pain relief is PEPPERMINT! Instead of taking potentially life-threatening pain relievers, get Young Living Peppermint Essential Oil and put 1 drop in the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, cup your hands over your nose, breathe in deeply several times, and then rub the peppermint oil over the area where the pain is located on your body. If it is a headache, then rub the base of the neck and temples. Don’t get too close to the eyes as peppermint can cause burning.
Consider the benefits of Peppermint Essential Oil
1. Zap Headaches: A few drops of peppermint oil massaged around the temples, the base of the skull and along the hairline will help chase away a headache. You may also dilute the oil in a carrier oil first. If you are prone to frequent headaches, add both peppermint and lavender essential oils to a roller bottle along with some fractionated coconut oil. Keep the bottle handy to apply whenever you feel a headache coming on.
2. Eliminate Bad Breath/Halitosis: Bad breath is typically a symptom of some underlying factor. If the issue is digestive, 4 drops of peppermint oil diluted with water and swished in the mouth like mouthwash will bring relief. Better yet, add a few drops to some brandy and swish.
3. Relieve Heartburn: Add a drop or peppermint oil to your tea along with a teaspoon of honey. Or, try a drop of two of peppermint oil in a glass of milk. You can also mix 5 drops with a teaspoon of carrier oil (coconut oil, olive oil, etc.) and massage onto your upper abdomen.
4. Cool a Fever: A few drops of peppermint mixed with a carrier oil and applied to the torso can reduce body temperature by 3 degrees in minutes. You can also place a few drops of oil on a wet washcloth and apply head to toe to comfort and cool a fevered body.
5. Prevent Drowsiness: Combine peppermint with a citrus oil such as lemon or orange and apply to the back of the neck. Inhale the oil that is left on your hands. I love this; it really does work.
6. Soothe a Stomach Ache: Put one drop in a large glass water and drink up.
7. Reduce Bloating: Rub on the stomach to help with bloating caused by gas and indigestion.
8. Combat Nausea: Rub a drop of peppermint oil on the abdomen or place a drop in a cup of hot water and sip it.
9. Stop Itching: Apply peppermint oil to stop itching caused by bug bites, hives, poison ivy or poison oak.
10. Relieve constipation: Combined with a carrier oil and massaged over the lower abdomen, peppermint will relieve the constipation and get things moving again.
11. Deter Mice: Place cotton balls with peppermint in areas around your home where mice like to congregate. Mice do not like peppermint (and by the way, neither do raccoons).
12. Repel spiders and ants: Place peppermint oil on a cotton ball or cotton pad and place in areas where you find spiders and ants. Better yet, make a peppermint bug spray. Add 4-5 drops of peppermint essential oil to water in a spray bottle. This also works to get rid of aphids in the garden.
13. Tick removal: Soak some peppermint oil on a q-tip then dab on the tick. Look for the tick to withdraw its head and then remove it.
14. Tendonitis and joint pain: I have shared this one with you before. Mix 10 drops each of peppermint, lavender and rosemary oil with 2 tablespoons of carrier oil. Massage away your aches and pains. This is also the basis for Miracle Healing Salve. It simply works!
15. Relieve seasonal allergies: Combine lavender, peppermint and lemon essential oils together with some carrier oil and rub on the bottoms of the feet, the back of the neck and across the forehead. Then take your hands, cup them over your nose and inhale with deep cleansing breaths. This will bring instant relief.
16. Relaxing foot soak: Add peppermint oil to a pan or bowl or warm water for a relaxing foot soak Follow up with some DIY Peppermint Scrub. The same applies to tired aching feet. Add a few drops to a foot bath to relieve sore, swollen and overworked feet.
17. Stress relief: Add to a diffuser to provide relief from stress, depression and mental exhaustion. There is something uplifting about peppermint and will leave you refreshed. This is also effective when you are feeling anxious and restless.
18. Freshen air: Ditto. Add to a diffuser to freshen the air.
19. Household cleaning: Mix with vinegar and water to make an effective, all-purpose household cleaner that I call “Peppermint Juice”. Here is the recipe from Prepper Checklist: DIY Cleaning Supplies:
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 32 oz. (1 quart) cups water
- 1/4 tsp. to 1/2 tsp. peppermint essential oil
20. Control odor: A few drops in the bottom of your kitchen or bathroom garbage can will leave a nice, fresh, minty smell and will also deter those ants, spiders and mice.
Source: Natural Blaze 20 Miracle Uses for Peppermint Oil by Gaye Levy http://www.naturalblaze.com/2014/01/20-miracle-uses-for-peppermint-oil.html
Let’s get rid of the ibuprofen and add Young Living Peppermint Essential Oil to our cabinet. Let’s be proactive about our health! Order now!
Disclaimer: The information shared in this article is intended for education purposes only. It has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not provided in order to diagnose, prescribe, or treat any disease, illness, or injured condition of the body. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness or injury should consult with a physician or medical professional.
I highly encourage you, as I have done, to become educated consumers and research all products used in, on or around your body.